Premature excitement (PE): a common symptom of a little-known syndrome called “The approaching opening of a much-delayed 3D blockbuster movie based on a classic book.” The culprit: The Great Gatsby – starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, and Carrie Mulligan – opening May 10th. Due to New York’s severe case of PE, every aspect of its most storied, classic hotel – The Plaza – is getting Gatsby’ed up for the occasion as early as March 20th, The hotel is introducing Gatsby-inspired dishes like deviled quail egg salad, Prohibition cocktails served in “discreet” Plaza flasks, grape Gatsby massages – even a “Fitzgerald Suite” – anything that will give you an excuse to party like the profiligate bachelor.
The Plaza’s transformation into the decadent Gatsby world includes:
– “Gatsby Hour” at The Rose Club on Wednesdays and Thursdays, where you can sip their Prohibition-inspired signature cocktail from an engraved, “discreet” Plaza flask and sway to the tunes from a live jazz band.
– “Brunch Like Gatsby” at the Todd English Food Hall, which includes a weekend brunch menu with classic 1920s dishes.
– The Moet Pop-Up at the Champagne Bar, where first-class Moet Imperial champagne will be served alongside a debut of the Moet Champagne cocktail entitled "Moet Imperial Gatsby."
– “Fitzgerald Tea for the Ages” at The Palm Court, where you can dine on deviled quail egg salad, curried lobster salad, banana financier, and chocolate bonbons
– “Caudalie Grape Gatsby” treatments at the Caudalie Vinothérapie Spa, which will recover you from the previous evening’s affairs.