Rainy days are a study in extremes. One day, you’re craving the comfort of a piping hot bowl of something buttery and cheesy, and the next, you’re seeking the cleansing refreshment of a vegetable juice and lentil salad. We humans are a complex bunch. In honor of the gloom outside, I’ve pulled together NYC’s top five rainy day meals. From heavenly to healthy, these dishes can warm even the most trodden spirit. Or at least distract you momentarily.
1. A Burger and Bowl of Chili from Corner Bistro: Cozy yet boisterous NY institution. $8 cheese-bacon Bistro Burger. Robust chili.
2. Mac & Cheese from Westville: Baked and crusty outside. Hot and gooey inside. Smoked bacon optional.
3. The Classic Pork Noodle Ramen Soup from Ippudo. Moderately healthy. Sesame mushrooms. Thick, long noodles.
4. Seitan in a Spicy Citrus Sauce from gobo. Arrives sizzling. Borderline healthy. Tastes like chicken.
5. Homemade Bucatini Pasta with Crispy Garlic and Olive Oil from Bevacco. Heavenly. Coarse, fresh noodles. Toasted garlic. NY’s best.
Follow Bonnie on Twitter here.