Even though its domestical haul now puts it behind only Avatar and Titanic on the all-time gross revenues list, The Avengers was no match for newcomer Snow White and the Huntsman on Friday at the U.S. box office.
Snow White raked in $20.3 million last night–higher than studio execs had predicted for the Charlize Theron and Kristen Stewart-starring flick–good for first place and a likely weekend total of about $55 million. Last week’s champ, Men in Black 3, slipped to second place with $8.1 million, and as previously mentioned, mega-blockbuster The Avengers finished in third with $5.6 million.
Courtesy Nikki Finke at Deadline, here’s how things are likely to shape up this weekend:
1. Snow White And The Huntsman (Universal) NEW [3,773 Theaters]
Friday $20.3M, Weekend $55.8M, International $39.3M
2. Men In Black 3 (Columbia/Sony) Week 2 [4,248 Theaters]
Friday $8.1M (-54%), Weekend $29M, Cume $112M
3. The Avengers (Marvels/Disney) Week 5 [3,670 Theaters]
Friday $5.6M, Weekend $19M, Cume $541.5M
4. What To Expect When… (Warner Bros) Week 3 [2,907 Theaters]
Friday $1.4M, Weekend $4.8M, Cume $31.1M
5. The Dictator (Paramount) Week 3 [2,649 Theaters]
Friday $1.4M, Weekend $5M, Cume $51.1M
6. Battleship (Universal) Week 3 [3,144 Theaters]
Friday $1.3M, Weekend $4.9M, Cume $55.2M
7. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox Searchlight) Week 5 [1,294 Theaters]
Friday $1.2M, Weekend $4.8M, Cume $25.7M
8. Dark Shadows (Warner Bros) Week 4 [3,002 Theaters]
Friday $1.0M, Weekend $3.6M, Cume $70.6M
9. Chernobyl Diaries (Alcon/Warner Bros) Week 2 [2,433 Theaters]
Friday $1.0M (-70%), Weekend $2.8M, Cume $14.2M
10. For Greater Glory (Arc Entertainment) NEW [575 Theaters]
Friday $585K, Weekend $1.5M
What movie are you excited to see this weekend?