● Nobody’s favorite actress Katherine Heigl earns herself no new fans by explaining in this month’s Elle that, "I’m just that asshole who really wants everyone to like me." [Gawker]
● Greg Dulli and his Afghan Whigs will reunite for their first show in 13 years years at All Tomorrow’s Parties, where they will replace previously booked Guided By Voices in London and Asbury Park. [Stereogum]
● Neve Campbell has been cast as an Amish girl in Lifetime’s two-hour television movie, Sworn to Silence. [THR]
● Harry Morgan, the side-splittingly funny actor who played Col. Sherman Potter on M*A*S*H*, passed away this morning at the age of 96. [People]
● Oops! Mythbusters accidentally misfired a cannonball right through someone’s roof. [CBS Los Angeles]
● The troubled Britney Spears is almost an adult again, ending her court-ordered conservatorship. Someday she’ll have her money back, too. [Radar] ● Zack Snyder, director of Watchmen, will helm the Christopher Nolan-produced Superman remake. Those familiar with his work know there’s now a chance for semi-cartoon, full-frontal male nudity. [Deadline] ● Lil Wayne was moved to solitary confinement on Rikers Island as punishment for being caught with music equipment in his jail cell. Call it dedication. [NYDN]
● 50 Cent going on a date with Chelsea Handler should be more shocking than it is, but everyone knows their real attraction is to fame. Not to doubt their feelings or anything. [TMZ] ● Katherine Heigl smokes electronic cigarettes, making her officially less cool than any given suburban 16-year-old. [HuffPo] ● Mad Men‘s John Slattery, better known as Silver Fox, best known as Roger Sterling, will make a guest appearance on 30 Rock, following in Jon Hamm’s man-sized footsteps. [EW]
California is overflowing with Chihuahuas. Thousands of the tiny critters crowd Los Angeles and San Francisco shelters and shelter representatives say the “alarming” problem will soon be out of control if these iconic pups don’t find homes ASAP. Blame Paris Hilton and her little dog, Tinkerbell, too. (Really, the problem is known as “Paris Hilton Syndrome” in some parts). Blame Legally Blond. Maybe even blame Taco Bell. But, whatever you do, don’t worry. Help is on the way.
Over the past few weeks, everyone from Katherine Heigl to Virgin America has stepped in to rescue the abandoned pets. Their mode du liberation? A puppy airlift. That’s right. The airline is footing the bill to fly these tiny pups directly from their shelters to their new East Coast homes. The latest from Virgin America:
“Virgin America is assisting the City of San Francisco Animal Care and Control by flying Chihuahua pups from San Francisco to New York so they can be adopted into loving homes to ring in the New Year. The massive overpopulation of Chihuahuas in California is forcing animal shelters on the West Coast to look to shelters on the East Coast for help – where there is demand for the dogs. The San Francisco Animal Care & Control asked Virgin America to spare a seat during the busy holiday travel season to help fly these needy pups. Several Virgin America teammates have volunteered to escort the pups on the flights to the East Coast – and will track their journey with real-time updates via the airline’s fleetwide WiFi service.”
Yes. The airline sent several dozen dogs across the coast last week. And, apparently, they traveled in style, complete with “red carpet send-off,” miniature treats, and “plenty of doggie toys to play with.” According to New Hampshire animal shelter representative Karen Bill and spcaLA President Madeline Bernstein, these missions have been widely successful. “In New Hampshire, where Chihuahuas are scarce, 100 people were on the waiting list for the rescued dogs. Chico and all the other California canines have been learning to adjust to the snow,” reports Mandalit Del Barco in a recent NPR interview on the subject.
For the last few years Katherine Heigl has been the TV star you go to if you’re looking for someone to say some wackadoo shit on the record: The first respectable movie she every appeared in? It was sexist. The TV show that got her the movie in the first place? Really badly written. That Emmy she won? Don’t you dare give her another one. That day she had to work? Way too long. But, in her defense, here’s one thing Heigl’s never done: tell a rape joke on national television. But that’s exactly what Modern Family’s Sofia Vergara did yesterday on The View. Move over Heigl, there’s a new loose-lipped loony in town, and she likes to say insane, self-defeating things even more than you do.
Yesterday, Vergara told the ladies at the The View that she was raped when she was 13. PSYCH. Whoopi was not amused, as you can see below.
But that’s not all! In October, during her appearance onChelsea Lately, Vergara forgot the name of her Modern Family co-star, Julie Bowen, which is just rude. This past Wednesday, Bowen appeared on Chelsea Lately and went to town on her forgetful co-star, doing a spot on imitation of Vergara, calling her “Charo Barbie” and if, maybe, stepping a smidge over the line, mostly keeping it in bounds. So just to tally that up, within Vergara’s first two months on network television she has started a public feud with a co-star and offended Whoopi Goldberg and all women everywhere. Heigl, watch your back.
● Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl are reprimanding the makers of Guitar Hero for giving gamers the ability to make Kurt Cobain rap in the new version of the game; Courtney Love (of course) wants to sue. [FooFighters,GameSpot] ● It’s one thing to flaunt your rebound relationship in the tabloids, but Kate Gosselin thinks Jon Gosselin bringing his girlfriend to meet their kids is crossing the reality-show line. [Radar] ● Miley Cyrus is being approached to make a cameo in the Sex and the City 2. [MTV]
● Shocker: Pamela Anderson doesn’t wear sunscreen, which might explain why the 40-something beach babe is ageing oh-so-gracefully. [DailyMail] ● Katherine Heigl has adopted a special needs child from Korea, making it impossible to hate her for the foreseeable future. [JustJared] ● The producers of the Robin Williams and John Travolta movie Old Dogs are desperately piecing together Bradley Cooper’s cut cameo from the film in hopes of catching that lingering Hangover success. [VillageVoice]
● Fashion students beware: Kanye West is after your internships. Word is West has been spending lots of time at The Gap offices shadowing creative director Patrick Robinson. [Stylelist] ● Things might not all be well on the set of Katie Holmes’ new film Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark; rumor has it she made the crew sign a “no Scientology questions” contract. [news.au] ● The band The Living Things will play The Ramones in Floria Sigismondi’s Runaways biopic; the lead singer is the husband of the film’s director, which probably helped their chances. [spinner]
● In the latest toy-to-movie conversion, Dreamworks is set to acquire the rights to the popular Viewmaster toy and somehow make it into a movie. [EW] ● Remember En Vogue? Well, networks take note — they want a reality show as “another venue to get their music out,” i.e. reinvent their career. [mediabuffet] ● Katherine Heigl admits her husband doesn’t particularly like it when she makes out with hunky co-stars like Gerard Butler, but as she tells him, it’s her job. [news24]
● Neil Patrick Harris would like you to know that he and boyfriend David Burtka are not having a child through a surrogate, despite what Star magazine says. [JustJared] ● PETA is upset with President Obama because of what they call an “execution” of a harmless fly during an interview. [Reuters] ● This could be the best, worst duet since Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson’s “Say, Say, Say.” R. Kelly wants to record a duet with tropical hot mess Amy Winehouse. [PopCrunch]
● After more than a year of back-and-forth, Katherine Heigl has renewed her contract for Grey’s Anatomy, which must mean Izzie lives! [E!] ● Could Disney be behind the cooling-down of tween couple Selena Gomez and Taylor Lautner? Disney doesn’t want young viewers to confuse her tabloid life with her show and tune out (Miley anyone?). [PopCrunch] ● Despite jumping from relationship to relationship since she was 18, Jennifer Love Hewitt is planning to publish a relationship book called The Day I Shot Cupid. [CelebGossip] R. Kelly TicketsPalace Theatre Albany TicketsAlbany Tickets
Sometimes I imagine that Ellen Pompeo (she’s the one who plays Meredith Grey, i.e. the Grey who Grey’s Anatomy refers to) runs into her dressing room, bawling, and logs onto her DiaryLand (because she’s too sweet to know about such things as Tumblr). Once there, she posts top-secret entries that no one really notices. Maybe sometimes McDreamy will leave a comment, forcing McSteamy to loiter in front of the computer a moment longer to think of the perfect way to one-up him. But the media, in all of their nasty liberal eliteness, tends to devote most of their attention to that crazy gay-basher or the gay he crazily bashed and maybe the loudmouth supporting blonde who smartly implicated herself in the ensuing media circus to and got paid in movie deals and press exposure. But with one down and two more to follow suit, it seems Pompeo may have the last laugh.
Both T.R. Knight and Katherine Heigl are practically confirmed to be exiting the series. But fans — you’re still there, right? Really? Even after that whole thing with Denny? — appear well-adjusted to signature characters who disappear from Seattle Grace without much explanation. Although here’s hoping that Knight and Heigl — both integral to the series since it started up almost four years ago — get an honorable send-off. Not the awkward, sloppy stage directions that gave Washington and more confusingly Jessica Blank their walking papers.
Just kidding. But she has declined to participate in the “For Your Consideration” mayhem that ensues durings awards season. Said Heigl in a press release, er, released yesterday, “I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination… I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials.” But Izzie, what about when you gave Karev a dose of tough love at the end of last season? You smacked down when you said that Rebecca was a lying, barren wench with a case of the insanities! Anyway, just saying… I’d rather have you holding the gold statuette than, say, Dana “not without my daughter” Delaney’s “Desperate Housewives” ice queen. Also, you guys totally hate each other over there, don’t you?