Tomorrow would have be John Lennon’s 70th birthday, so it seems only fitting to end the week with some videos of everyone’s favorite Beatle. After the jump, you’ll find a highly subjective selection of Lennon-related YouTube clips. Disclaimer #1: When I say, “highly subjective,” I mean I’m sorry that I didn’t include the Ed Sullivan Show. I wanted to treat you to some random stuff that you might not have previously seen, and concentrate on John’s post-Beatles career. Disclaimer #2: When I say, “Lennon-related,” I mean I’ve been waiting ten years for an excuse to gush over that scene in Mr. Holland’s Opus when Richard Dreyfuss performs “Beautiful Boy” in sign language. Enjoy, friends.
10. Aforementioned scene from Mr. Holland’s Opus. This scene always makes me cry, even if Dreyfuss can’t really sing.
9. Original version of “Beautiful Boy,” complete with slide show Definitely one of the most beautiful songs from John’s post-heroin, happy-father period. Also the saddest, when we remember that John never got to see Sean “come of age.”
8. Yoko Ono’s Best Idea In this clip Yoko convinces John to play “Imagine” on his white piano, and do it an octave higher.
7. Conservative Guy Interviews John and Yoko in Bed One of the best scenes from the excellent Lennon documentary, Imagine. For some reason this clip has Spanish subtitles.
6. Young John Lennon Okay, this isn’t actually John Lennon, but it’s pretty funny.
5. Young Sean Lennon Speaking of young, if you really want your heart broken, watch this video of young Sean Lennon. Also, the YouTube clip compares Sean to Harry Potter, but if you consider his outfit, I think he looks more like Eddie Murphy in Delirious.
4. “Stand By Me” Here’s John on the great British rock show, The Old Grey Whistle Test, doing a beautiful rendition of “Stand By Me.”
3. The Beatles imitate Bob Dylan This is hilarious. And accurate!
2. “Instant Karma” This clip is most notable for the fact that Yoko is mysteriously wearing a blindfold. Also, it’s a great song. ect>
1. “Give Peace a Chance” Enough said.