Photo: Julien Boudet/BFAnyc.com
Now that we’ve established the firm grip that fluffy, colorful furs have on the fashion community, let’s explore how to implement this trend into our daily lives–after all not all of us count The Sartorialist as members of our fan club. And as winter marches on, our inspiration to stay chic while stomping through the slush dwindles and our ideas for how to do so are low in number. Enter the fluff. If streetstyle pix have left you lusting over this trend–you’re in luck, we’ve already done an edit on what’s available to shop right now!
Which brings us to step two: figuring out how to incorporate the things fashion people wear into your own day-to-day wardrobe can feel like a tall order. Even editors don’t dress like it’s fashion week 365 days of the year.
One thing we’re loving about the current faux fur obsession is that ultimately, this is a trend rooted in having fun with fashion–a trend that takes us back to the notion of “playing dress-up,” really. So now having added one or all of our 14 picks to your cart, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of how to wear this touchable trend.
- We’ll dive in to the deep end with a look at mixing faux furs: (If you know this isn’t for you, see below)–While doubling up on an already aggressive trend might sound crazy, it can work. Think printed furs (i.e. glam leopard print coats) (mis)matched with the fuzziest solid faux fur scarves in a complementary color.
- A camel is the perfect blank canvas for the beginner to work with. All it takes is throwing on a brightly-colored fur stole for an instant hit of glam. Et voilà!
- Amp up an otherwise monochromatic look with a jolt of bright fur. Case in point: this dramatic neon fur trapper hats turn an all-black outfit into a noticeable take on the trend.
- The peeping hoodie gives the look a perfect injection of the all-important “I woke up like this” factor
- If you’re thinking “oh, I have a vintage fur that belonged to my Grandmother but I only take that thing out at night,” here’s a dash of daytime glamour. Whether its a stole or a coat, sometimes looking good is the quickest route to feeling good. And if your feet start to hurt from the heels you’ll be glad to have something soft to cuddle on-the-go.
- When you take this route, quite frankly it doesn’t matter if all you’ve got on underneath is a paperbag, or your skivvies…or in this weather, your longjohns.
- If the idea of fur (even faux) feels a little stuffy to you, take it down a notch by reminding everyone that you are also super on top of the athleisure trend in a graphic tee. Keep it casual by wearing your bag hands-free for extra model-off-duty points.
- Here’s an easily borrowed style cue: if your fur is adding unwanted volume, borrow straight from the runways and nip that waist in with some cleverly tied leather