Traveling to inhospitable guest rooms this holiday season? It’s easier than ever to take your lifestyle with you. Here are BlackBook’s picks for making your stay at the in-laws’, the family cabin, or Dad’s Winnebago as luxurious as a five-star hotel.
1. The J. PANTHER RUC TOTE ($590; jplc.com) is everything you could ask for in both an everyday bag and a long-weekend carryall. It zippers shut to keep out snow and rain, and the lightly waxed canvas keeps everything dry.
2. Make any musty or over-potpourried guest room your own with a scented candle from CIRE TRUDON. We love the woodsy Balmoral and the Havana-inspired Ernesto. Use their elegant long matches to rekindle the flame (candles $85; matches $12; both at ciretrudon.com).
3. Barnes & Noble’s SIMPLE TOUCH WITH GLOWLIGHT NOOK ($119; barnesandnoble.com) is barely larger than a phone, has a battery that can last a month, and allows you to trade day for night reading with The Touch of a button that backlights the screen.
4. A ready-made heirloom, THE JAMES DIXON FLASK ($550; sirjacks.com) is based on an early 20th century design—its upper half wrapped in rich brown leather and its orbed screw cap and removable cup made of sterling silver. We suggest filling it with a spirit as complex and mellow as TULLAMORE DEW’S 12-YEAR-OLD SPECIAL RESERVE WHISKEY ($40; tullamoredew-usa.com).
5. BANG & OLUFSON’S BEOLIT 12 PORTABLE SPEAKER ($799; bang-olufson.com) is a sleek update to the company’s classic 1960s transistor radio. It features a leather handle, and you can get eight hours of sound from the rechargeable battery.
6. No critters were harmed in the making of Restoration Hardware’s deceptively soft LUXE FAUX FUR THROWS ($99; restorationhardware.com). They come as portable as can be in a blanket roll with a leather handle.
7. Get the best shave your great-grandfather never had with The Art of Shaving’s BOCOTE WOOD STRAIGHT RAZOR and 4 ELEMENTS OF THE PERFECT SHAVE KIT (razor $225; shaving kit $115; artofshaving.com). Or pack even lighter with JOHN MASTERS ORGANICS 2-IN-1 FACE WASH AND SHAVE FOAM ($22; johnmasters.com).
Photo by Joshua Scott.