Photo Credit: David X Prutting/BFAnyc.com
Fashion Week is the most ungodly of misnomers. After all, it is most definitely not a month. Just ask the jetlagged EICs who’ve been sprinting around Europe for four weeks straight on barely more than a few espressos. And yet! The marathon (literally, if you’re Karlie Kloss or Glamour’s Cindi Leive) is coming to a close and everyone is heading back to their respective fashion capitols. And now, a real break has come. The madness won’t resume until September–that’s six whole months! Let’s all go to St. Barths!
Before you forget it ever happened, let’s recap the most unforgettable moments.
1. Kim Kardashian dyes her hair blonde, goes to great lengths to conceal it until debuting it at Balmain
Leave it to Kimmy K to try to be the center of attention at bestie, Olivier Rousteing’s Balmain show (her #frow seat clearly wasn’t enough). Note: this was a show in which practically every super walked, and Kim still stole it. Lest you think this was some coincidence, it was not.
So close…but if you look closely! En route, Kardashian was almost meticulous enough to keep her tricks under wraps.
Obviously, many memes ensued:
2. But then someone else showed up with a new platinum look too! Jared Leto + Kim’s hair = Style twins!! The guess is that, this, having left essentially no time for us to mourn the most epic man-bre there ever was, is in anticipation of his upcoming role as The Joker for 2016’s Suicide Squad film.
2. Lottie Moss makes her runway debut at Rykiel
A casting coup at Rykiel’s library inspired show.
3. Bella Hadid walks Tom Ford With Sister Gigi
4. Poodles Steal the Show at VFILES
…And everyone bookmarked DI$COUNT UNIVER$E and poodles.
5. Givenchy’s Faux-Piercings and Gelled Baby Hair Stir Controversy
Not everyone was a fan of Riccardo Tisci’s “Victorian Chola Girl” inspired beauty look. Critics pointed out that the “high fashion” look was blatant cultural appropriation.
6. Snoop Dogg hit the runway for the Etam show
What’s a lingerie show without a musical guest!?
7. Taylor and Karlie sit #FROW at Oscar de la Renta
Vogue’s favorite fashionable besties made an appearance because two is chicer than one.
This is how we road trip too. 8. Ralph Lauren Melted Yeezy’s Steely Heart From his Style.com interview:
Ralph is the god. And that’s all I want to say about Ralph.
9. Chanel Made a Restaurant
Wonder what this cost…
10. Kanye Got a Do-Over
After two rather poorly-received attempts at design in Paris in 2011/2012, Kanye made a triumphant (mostly?) return, at NYFW–and Kylie got a moment in the sun/shoes of a model. Want a pair of Adidas Yeezy Boosts? Well you can’t have them…
Though 9000 of the sneakers were released to the public, even at $350 a pair, they, unsurprisingly, all sold out. If you are literally in major need of a Yeezy fix, hold tight, Adidas has plans to restock the shoe.
Read more about Yeezy’s super upscale Spanx here.
11. Peter Copping’s OdlR Debut
Hand-picked to work at de la Renta’s side before his passing last fall, Peter Copping stayed graceful in spite of the pressure, with a collection that felt elegant (like any OdlR one should) but refreshingly youthful. It felt like a fitting tribute (rather than a tired repetition) of the house’s trademark uptown style.
12. Alessandro Michele Takes the Helm at Gucci
Alessandro Michele’s debut marked a significant break from Friday Giannini’s Gucci. Romantic, eccentric, unkempt, a touch of geek chic, and maybe most notably, those
furry hairy shoes. Is it what the Gucci execs were hoping for to boost sales–who knows? But the the internet loved it, and in 2015, that counts…for something.
13. …and of course Zoolander 2 Hits Up Valentino!
In a brilliant cross-promotional stunt, the upcoming Zoolander 2 movie and Valentino pulled off the ultimate runway show stunt. Even if you don’t follow fashion at all, odds are you caught Derek Zoolander and Hansel’s Valentino runway walk-off.
More here, (and trust, the more, the better).
PEACE OUT, ‘TIL SEPTEMBER!